Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bully

Ugh!  I am almost embarrassed to say I watched Bully as my second movie for the week.  The movie was a lot more explicit than I expected, and not something I enjoyed watching.

The theme of the movie was social problems and dealt with teenagers that seemed to be in self-destruct mode, combatting problems of teenage sex, pregnancy and drugs.  I would describe them as social outcasts.

Bully was based on a tru story that happened in California about a bullying teen that was struggling with his own sexuality while trying to live up to his father's expectations.  He took out his anger on his best friend and was cruel and hurtful to all teenagers who came in contact with him.  I feel that Bobby was portrayed as a very evil person by the author.

Other than Marty and Lisa, the other teenagers involved were just followers because they had nothing better to do.  All received rather harsh sentences, some not so deserving of what they got.  Since the film is based on the truth, and only the ones involved  could tell their side of the events that lead up to the murder, it is hard to say whether the author portrayed each side unbiased.  The author did, however, portray Marty and Lisa as immature and having no conscience, deserving of their punishment.

I would not recommend this movie.  I feel that all the sexually explicit scenes were unneccessary and added no value to the theme and lessened the impact of the story.  I'm sure the author wanted to show how careless these teenagers were and how they never thought about consequences, but this could have been done without constantly showing us them naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment